Monday, July 5, 2010

Lessons Learned From Walking With A Hobbit


Life and marathon training have a lot in common. There are many ways to train and live. The destination or goal is the same-to finish the race. In life, finishing is guaranteed, not so for marathons.

One training/living method is the "Procrastinate, Push, Pain" method. In this method one "Procrastinates" by putting off starting to train. Any excuse will do: It's too hot. It's too cold. It's too early. It's too late. I had to work late. I need to spend time with the family. I need new shoes....a different shirt. The dog threw up. It doesn't really matter what the excuse is or even how ridiculous it might be...all excuses will justify not moving forward (or indeed moving at all). "Push"-now since I've procrastinated I must push hard toward the goal. No excuses allowed now. No common sense either. I'm going to go as hard and as fast as I can to make up for lost time and training. I lose focus...I have to focus so hard on the goal that I don't have time for anything else-family, friends, God, or even myself. I should have made time to listen to myself because now there is "Pain". I didn't listen to what my body and brain were saying to me-I hurt-will I even be able to start the race? It hurts so bad-will I limp forever, will I ever be able to race again? I feel so stupid. I will go ahead and race regardless of how I feel. There is no choice-I've already entered and I don't want to fail....again.

Another training method could be called the "Persevere, Pace, Patience" method. I "Persevere" by getting up each day with the goal in mind. I can put aside the excuses that keep me from making progress with "the plan." I do have a plan-a training chart-with my goals broken down in daily/weekly goals. I can feel good about each day-because I can see not only the big goal, but how to get there. I do something each day that will make a difference-even a slight one. I go "one foot in front of the other" through the chart at my own speed.
"Pace" is daily progress-I'm not trying to go at someone else's pace. God makes us all different-we are like snowflakes-no two exactly alike. So even though the big goal is the same and the training chart is the same-my pace is different. I'm an individual with my own set of needs and skills. I need to listen to my body to find out what my pace is and do that.
"Patience"-I need to have patience with myself. You can't build endurance in a day. It takes time. It takes effort. It takes being attuned to myself. I need to be patient with myself until my reality catches up with my dream.Both methods produce an athlete that can finish the marathon.

But is the finish the goal? I think not entirely. The race to get to the finish line starts long before the gun goes off. It begins first with the goal to finish and ends with the goal to finish well.

No comments:

Post a Comment