Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Memories of Harding Elementary School


Random things I remember or at least think I remember.
First grade-remember being way shorter than anyone else. Remember passing cafeteria every day on the way to the restroom and the cook making me come in and eat a piece of bread and butter or a piece of cheese because I was "weemsie". Not sure what that meant but it would be cured by eating more fat. That's why it seemed I took so long going potty. Remember Dick, Jane and Spot. Never really cared much for Sally. Remember slips that made my dresses fluff way out and scratched like crazy. Remember see-sawing with Skippy Hicks, my main squeeze! It was a one-sided affair. The see-sawing, not the squeezing.
Second grade-remember being told I was almost worst reader in the class. Darn that Sally!
Third grade-love, love, loved art! Cried all night when I found out I had to get glasses.
Fourth grade-let's just skip this one, ok?
Fifth grade-I can speak German! I'm in a German version of Hansel and Gretel. I am a phefferkuchenkinder (Gingerbread kid-part of the fence at the hag's house) and the fairy who bops H and G on the head to wake them up. Fairy costume borrowed from Kathleen Shepherd my bff. Like the slips it was made with that nylon net stuff that they make dish scrubbers out of today. Never had to exfoliate your thighs!
Sixth grade-ah sixth grade....in math learning about mean, median, and averages....everyone went separately into the other room and got measured for height and weighed. Then they put the numbers without names on the board and we discussed averages, median, and it was just plain mean....I weighed 45 pounds and everyone thought it was so funny and was obviously so obvious who the forty five pound weakling was! Didn't enjoy math that year. Did enjoy doing the crossing guard thing. Especially if Frank Wellborn was also on duty..sigh. Slip update-this was the year they softened the material to nylon and put this blow up tube, like a bike tire tube around the bottom. You inflated it and presto, instant fluffy dress, which of course makes stick legs even more stickish. Bit of a problem when you sat down if you blew it up too full, your hem would be up your nose! Other thing about sixth grade was that by then BK Morris had asked all the girls at least once to marry him. No one ever said yes, silly BK. If Frank had asked, I would have said yes.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Pam! So glad to find your bloggie...and add you to my Google Reader. :)

    I've read it all - this post and all the others - and I have to say, your Mother's Day post...{sigh}...you *so* nailed how I feel on Mother's Day now. I remember the longing, I remember the pain of "all the mothers come to the altar" and there I stood, in the choir loft for all to see and pity...ugh... We actually stopped going to church on Mother's Day for that very reason until I was pregnant with Elizabeth. And now that I am the Old Woman in the Shoe (a friend of mine refers to my house as "The Shoe")...I remember those days and I pray for my sweet friends who still long for a child. It's definitely a contemplative day for me, too.

    Doin' Nyquil, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... this post made me laugh... but... also a little bit sad because being different in grade school was never good.
    I know you are a couple of years more mature than me... but I totally missed the blow-up slips!
    My grade school fashion highlights included what color Go-Go boots I would get. (Second grade they were bright orange-red) In sixth grade, we had to line up and check our skirts for the shortness factor. The rule was a hand's width above the knee... of course, we turned our hands up and down to get more shortness... ha.
    This was a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam...
    Funny how we remember ourselves. I always thought of you as the cutest little thing!!! I remember hating those darn perms my mom always put in my hair... usually the day before we had school pictures. Freckles and frizzed hair and hand-me-down clothes (or my brothers old shirts)...that was my concept of who I was. My childhood friend from Springfield, on the other hand, had the thickest most beautiful straight hair, dark olive skin, always the latest fashion, and always looked perfect. Of course she had a stay home mom and much more money... while my mom was a widow with 4 kids, trying to get her education. See you at the Harding Academy reunion????
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I'm coming. Now though I'm a bit fluffy and have some purple in my hair!

    ReplyDelete